Kendrick Lamar Talks Andre 3000 Hearing good kid, m.A.A.d city & Early Comparisons To Illmatic
After a sold out concert in Las Vegas, Kendrick Lamar invited TheWellVersed and 2DopeBoyz to a late night studio session on the eve of good kid, m.A.A.d city getting unleashed to the masses. In an exclusive clip of our sit down with the artist formally known as K.Dot, the Compton emcee discussed the early pressure of his debut album already being compared to Nas’ quintessential hip hop classic Illmatic.
“Illmatic? For people to even put my album in the light of that, is an accomplishment. It’s crazy to even be mentioned with it but it’s scary at the same time,” Lamar says about some reviews suggesting that his Aftermath album is the most important debut since the Queensbridge emcee dropped his album nearly two decades ago.
Lamar also discusses the clip that circulated the web of Andre 3000 sitting in the studio listening to “Bitch Don’t Kill My Vibe” and reveals what happens when the cameras went off.
“He stood on the couch, put his hand up and said ‘This is golden,’” Lamar says before explaining that 3 Stacks was one of the first individuals to hear the album in its entirety. When asked whether we could see a Kendrick Lamar and Andre Benjamin collaboration in the near future, the TDE rapper paused for a moment before a huge grind stretched across his face as he simply stated “Maybe.”
- T.I. feat B.O.B & Kendrick Lamar – Memories
- 50 Cent – We Up feat Kendrick Lamar & Kidd Kidd
- Tha Bizness making Kendrick Lamar’s “Sherane ” on Maschine
- Swizz Beats & A$AP Rocky – Street Knock
- Kendrick Lamar – Backseat Freestyle
- Fuckin’ Problems – A$AP Rocky feat 2 Chainz, Kendrick Lamar & Drake
- Kendrick Lamar @ Cali Christmas
- The Game – Murder feat Scarface & Kendrick Lamar
- Kendrick Lamar – Swimming (Pool Drank)
- Kendrick Lamar – Good Kid M.a.a.d City – Pre Order